Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching, and what better way to show someone you love them (and yourself) by cooking a delicious and healthy meal! PEAR Coach Fit Chef Katy shares her healthy and delicious Valentine’s Day Menu! Bon Appetit!
Valentines Day Easy to Love Menu
Cook from your heart and your hip on this Valentines Day with Fit Chef Katy
I was watching a talk by healthy food advocate, Jamie Oliver, and he said that food culture started in the kitchen. Now a days it seems to be a “foodie”, you eat out and then yelp about it, without ever touching a knife! But still, there is nothing like a home cooked meal! And with Valentine’s Day on its way, you know there’s a great opportunity to cook something fabulous for that loved one!
I have a quick meal here that is nutritionally focused and will keep you lean and mean. I know that Valentine’s Day is on a Friday so some of you may be coming home from work and need to get it ready speedy. I also want you to look at these recipes as blueprints, the final product may vary but that’s what cooking from the hip is about! Your time is limited and food is subject to you and your taste buds so let’s get something fabulous and fast out for your special dinner. Make sure to light the candles and remember that there are other things to attend to on Valentine’s Day… like foot massages!
As I am single this year, my two cute sons, 12 and 8, will be treating me to dinner! They said they would love to make me something special! Thank goodness I have done my prep in teaching them to cook throughout the years. I can’t wait to see what’s on their menu! But this is what I would serve if I had that hot someone in my life (hint hint). Something romantic, hearty and healthy!
I just made this at the Ronald McDonald Home for 40 people. It is a great go to recipe that everyone loves and has great flavor. Using Chobani will help to give it that creamy taste without all the fat.
2 air chilled chicken breasts pounded
2 cups of sliced mushrooms
dried thyme/ fresh thyme
1 cup of marsala
1 cup of stock
1/2 cup of Chobani plain greek yogurt
- Cook the mushrooms in a non stick pan that is dry. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and dried thyme. Allow the mushrooms to weep in their own liquid, then cover with a lid for about 5-10 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Salt and pepper the chicken and add to a pan that has a bit of heated oil. Allow to cook until they move easily. If you try to turn them and they are sticking that is becuase they are not ready to be turned. This is usually about 5 minutes each side.
- Once cooked on both sides, pour the marsala wine into the pan and allow it to deglaze all the yummy chicken bits. Add the chicken stock and mushrooms. Cook for another 5 minutes. Transfer chicken to a platter and add the Chobani Greek Yogurt to the dish and whisk. Turn off heat and add any extra salt, pepper or fresh thyme. Pour onto chicken.
SIDE DISH: Quinoa cooked according to directions, with added chopped artichoke hearts, chopped parsley. Squeeze one lemon and add zest, salt and pepper.
Strawberry Spinach Salad
This salad is so versatile. Feel free to use any berries, cheese or nuts. I like using blackberries, blue cheese crumbles and cashews as well.
1 bag of baby spinach
2 cups of strawberries cut in half
1/2 tub of goat cheese crumbles
1 cup of sliced almonds
salt and pepper
- Make the dressing by putting 1/2 cup of oil, and 1/2 cup of vinegar in a jar. Add 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of mustard to the jar. Close tightly and shake hard until thick and “emulsified”. Add salt and pepper to taste and more honey or mustard if needed.
- Mix all the lettuces, and half the fruit, nuts and cheese in a bowl. Pour the dressing on the side of the bowl and toss gently with tongs. Top the salad with the rest of the mix ins.
Bon Affair Luxardo Cherry Spritzer
We’re going to step it up a bit with these adult cherries that are just heavenly. A perfect chewy creamy texture with a bit of crystalized crunch. When I order at the bar I always know if the place is to my standard if they serve my Manhattan with the Luxardo Cherries. I’m telling you, what a difference a cherry makes!
1 Individual bottle of Bon Affair Sauvignon Blanc Wine Spritzer
1 ounce of Luxardo Cherry Liqueur
2 Luxardo cherries
1. Chill a champagne glass and pour in one bottle of Bon Affair. Add one ounce of Luxardo cherry liqueur. Scoop some of the real cherry juice and let it fall to bottom of glass. Garnish with cherries and serve chilled.
Fit Chef Katy is a celebrity food and fitness educator. Living the life of foodie and hottie she has figured out the balance to keeping fit and eating well! Check her out at www.fitchefkaty.com
Fit Chef Katy won over viewers of Food Network Star, season 7 with her vivacious personality, healthy outlook on food and nutrition, and exercise. A mother of three and as proclaimed by the LA Times, “Jane of all trades,” Katy has owned and operated an award winning restaurant in China, held the title of Mrs. Long Beach 2011, founded a kids cooking school and finished her first marathon in 3rd place with a time of 3:07. She knows what it means when she says “Hard work is what works”. Katy is highlighted in the February People Style Watch Magazine ad as the Ryka Women’s Fitness Ambassador, an audio Coach with Pear Sports, with the most downloaded app workout FAB ABS and her 15 minute recipes called 321 Done are available at fitchefkaty.com. Fit Chef Katy’s goal is to educate and motivate others because as she says, “Healthy Always loves you back!”